Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Grand Tribal Southern Episcopalians of The American South

I have been very busy the last week so I am doing some catching up. Part of that is seeing what Rod Dreher has been saying .

He had a post that was prompted by a death in his town, See Southern Episcopalians . I thought it was nice post but it seems the very diverse League of the Offended and or / Complaining  appear in the comment section and poor Rod is catching it from all sides.

In the comments Rod says:


[NFR: I don't really have anything insightful to say here, Will, other than that it has always seemed to me that Episcopalian men seem to be the sort that looks comfortable wearing seersucker suits. Not sure what that means, but I've observed it. I see in Southern Episcopalians the same kind of upper-middle and upper class style as you associate with old-school Yankee Episcopalians, but down South that often comes with a patrician awareness of history, especially family history. It's not all Episcopalians, of course, but I'm impressed by how much I have come to associate the essence of certain Southern places with Episcopalians. As you know, I did not grow up Episcopalian, but when I think of my own parish, I think of Episcopalianism as the essence of the place. This is not because most people here are Episcopalians, but, I think, because for better or for worse, Episcopalians are the kind of people with whom I associate old families, old places, and the cherishing of these things. It has always been startling to me to see how the Episcopal Church nationally has been on the forefront of destroying their own tradition, given what I saw from the outside of Episcopalians growing up. I suppose what I'm getting at is saying that Episcopalianism is the tribal religion of Southern patricians -- and believe me, I say that as a compliment. -- RD] 

 I have to agree with that. I should also add in my experience that "tribalism" they have at times translates into a pretty caring community . They do care about each other families and are there for each other it seems. I understand there are bad sides to the word tribalism. But I have to say in my interactions with the Episcopalians in the South I was always welcomed and felt genuine warmth. That might have to do with the still strong  Anglican ( and Christian ) concept that everyone in a  parish  geographical area  is in a ways their responsibility and a "member" no matter if they are Episcopalian or not. This of course translates into community life as the obit of dear ole Alice Davis Folkes " Puddin " Bankston relates.

No comments: