Monday, May 17, 2010

Would Gay Marriage Overturn Monogamy In Marriage

This is the the not so hidden secret and issue that many do not talk about. I am impressed a gay writer at the NYT tried to tackle it. First Thoughts has Marriage Minus Monogamy III

Update-
I wanted to address comment one that is at the above link. Again I am shocked how people don't seem to see the big picture. Yes there has been swingers but there is still a tad of a taboo about it. Needless to say there are NUMEROUS things relating to divorce that occurs when "adultery in involved. IF the rules are re written I think that will be affected for everyone too.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I actually agree with one of the dissenting commenters to the article. I'm personally skeptical about the ill effects of homosexual marriage on heterosexual marriages (at least any more than has already been done to marriage over the past 50 years).

I think the two move effective arguments are (depending on the audience) 1) same sex marriage is a malum in se; or 2) lack of governmental interest in regulating the personal relationships of non-procreating couples.

I think any damage to traditional marriage by same-sex marriage will be either too negligible or causation will be too questionable to convince anyone with an opposing opinion.

James H said...

Andy I guess I would disagree because I still think the LAW is uses to teach and does affect moral values.

If in part of "marriage" that opne relationships are seen as the norm you cannot hold off either the legal ramification or what that lesson the law teaches to others