Friday, May 28, 2010

Does Obama Understand the Symbolic Nature of the Office (Memorial Day Stuff)

Here is just one person of many examining the whole non appearance at Arlington Cemetery issue. See Why is President Obama skipping the traditional Memorial Day visit to Arlington National Cemetery? Via Althouse.

Now I am not too upset about this because the president is attending a Memorial day event in Chicago. Still Arlington is very very important and of a lot of symbolism so I find it odd they decided to do this.

This is not exactly the first time I get a sense that Obama or his staff gets it at times.

3 comments:

Jim said...

It is not the first time a president has not been at Arlington on Memorial Day, but in his second year you would think he would emphasize the traditional. While I am not that upset about it either, I do agree that he is ill advised not to be there.

James H said...

Yeah just seems when we are war in tow theatres it is very bad timing.

Like I said he is attending an event in Chicago which is one reason I think the uproar is too much

William Neilson Jr. said...

It is funny to see Republicans get so angry at this only to be told that Bush did not visit several times.

It then turns to some other excuse

The hypocrisy is hilarious