Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lincoln and Holy Week

It is of course folly I suppose to think that there was some Divine plan as to the Holy Week and America's most bloody and horrible conflict.

Still it is striking that as America Catholic pointed out that the Civil War for all practical purposes ended on Palm Sunday . The fact that Lincoln was killed on Good Friday makes it all the more striking.

I really wonder what people thought at the time as this strange occurrence of events. Did they make a religious connection. Did it add to the religious fervor associated with Lincoln's death.

On a side note I always thought is sort of scandal that Lincoln went to a Play on Good Friday. I am not sure if Good Friday was as big for Protestants then as it is now but it does seem sort of unseemly. I might be under the impression that people were just far more conservative back then in these things.

Just some American Civil War / Holy Week thoughts.

No comments: