Monday, August 31, 2009

Another Conservative Against the Death Penalty

There are actually quite a few. Funny it seems there are a lot more prominent Pro-Life conservatives that are anti Death Penalty than is often portrayed

From National Review Online We Have Kathryn Jean Lopez

Death Be Not Proud [Kathryn Jean Lopez]
Even worse than the state's killing of a man it is not morally obliged to kill (I appreciate the arguments, but I'm opposed to the death penalty) may be finding out he may have been innocent of the crimes he was convicted of. This may have been the case with
Cameron Todd Willingham, who was executed in Texas in 2004.
UPDATE: Readers point me to
his parting message, which included an obscene gesture. These things, too, do not require the state to end his life.
08/31 04:16 PMShare .

and

this

re: Cameron Todd Willingham [Kathryn Jean Lopez]
A (current) judge who helped prosecute the case takes issue with the innocence claim.
I should note that the debate over facts is not my moral argument against the whole execution business. I think the man shouldn't have been killed, period, with or without the New Yorker. Capital punishment isn't intrinsically evil, there are times when it may be necessary. But those strike me as rare — if not inconceivable — instances in the U.S. in 2009.Speaking of George Will, Ramesh wrote
this response to him when he announced his opposition to capital punishment.
08/31 06:39 PMShare

Emphasis and bold all mine. What I bolded seems very close to what the Catechism says.

2 comments:

Pro Ecclesia said...

But, but, but ... K-Lo is a "cafeteria Catholic". I know because Tony A (aka Obama's Minion) says it all the time. Also, Tony says that the late founder of the publication for which K-Lo works was also a "cafeteria Catholic".

Meanwhile, Tony says the late Sen. Kennedy's strong abortion advocacy was merely "incidental" to his record, and thus Kennedy doesn't merit the "cafteria Catholic" badge.

(And I'm sure ideology has absolutely nothing to do with Tony's assessments of the foregoing's Catholicity.)

James H said...

I was thinking the same thing. I get on to K- LO alot. For instance I think her stances om immigration could be a tad more balanced. But this shows she really is a thinking Catholic that tries to conform her mind to the Church as he has shown repeatly