Monday, September 22, 2008

A Father Talks About the Stillborn Birth Of His Son in the New York Times

I missed this over the weekend. Amy Wellborn has the gripping story and link at “And then came the outpouring…”

I actually was a bystander in something akin to this. A few days before my Aunt was to give birth she felt something was wrong. She went to the doctor and her child was found to have died. Later it would found (how I am not sure) that the umbilical cord had for some reason cut off the baby;s oxygen supply a week before she was be delivered.

Two days later we went to Monroe Louisiana as she delivered her child that was dead. If memory serves me right there was a C -section because the doctors were concerned that they did not know what had caused the the death of her child and were concerned about exposing my Aunt to a unknown danger. It was in a way truly horrible. Within minutes after the delivery the family gathered around the hospital bed as we all saw her very well formed child in her arms. Two days later we buried her and it was strange.

I still think of that event a couple of a times a year out of the blue even now. Anyway a good article that reminds us there are people with untold pain and perhaps we better as a society recognize it.

No comments: