Monday, September 22, 2008

THe Changing of the Sabbath From Saturday to Sunday - Catholic Authority in Action

The Black Cordelias had a interesting post up called SABBATH TO SUNDAY.
It involves the Catholic Church in Apostolic days changing the day of the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

Now I have some thoughts on this subject because my family , though mostly Baptist, has a strong Seventh Day Adventist strain in it. I talked on my blog about my grandfathers funeral ,where it the pastor gave a full Seventh Day Adventist Homily to be sure. Something that caused some of the more Baptist relatives to get a tad miffed.

It should be recalled that Adventist , at least the more traditional bunch view Catholics and Protestants that do not keep Saturday as the Lord's day as the whore of Babylon. Adventist were actually informally persecuted in many ways in the South and that is often a interesting neglected part of history.

I think my family got a pass , because the men of the family that were not so devout as their wives , ran the pool table and illegal slot machine business. Let us just say the weird social quirks of Natchez Mississippi are something to study.

Still this is a interesting question that protestants should look at. The case to change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday based purely on Scripture Alone is a tad weak. At the very least it has powerful countervailing arguments that trust me I have heard all my life.

1 comment:

Fr. Bryan Owen said...

Sunday is not the Sabbath. Sunday is the Lord's Day.

If you're interested, check out my posting on this over at Creedal Christian.