Saturday, July 26, 2008

Is Secessionism making a comeback?


Good Grief. From Burke to Kirk and Beyond... has the insanity at Secessionism making a comeback...

I have been thinking about doing a post on what I see as a upswing in this neo Confederate viewpoint in the clothing of Conservatism I am seeing more and more. I see a ton of Lincoln Bashing and a ton of The South Was Right Stuff, the War had nothing to do with Slavery etc etc .

I am a Southerner. I went to a High School that had the Rebels as a mascot. I have many items with the rebel flag on it. I am proud of my heritage. However there is no Legal right to secession period full stop. I have not heard a compelling legal argument yet.

I think part of the problem is that people confuse and combine the issue of if there is valid legal mechanism of secession and the issue of the inherent right to rebellion under some circumstances. I think the South's argument, and I intend to show in the future posts, failed on both counts.

I might do part one of this series of post over the weekend.

4 comments:

SJ Reidhead said...

Good job!

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

Cajun Huguenot said...

My friend,

On this subject we disagree. Secession was legal when the colonies seceded from the British Empire. It was legal when the first United States under the Articles of Confederation ennded by States leaving it and joining the United States und the Constitution.

I've written on this subject a few times:
http://cajunhuguenot1.blogspot.com/2008/01/secession-discussion-few-days-ago-i.html

and here

http://cajunhuguenot1.blogspot.com/2006/06/secession-i-have-posted-mostly.html

Deo Vindice,
Kenith

James H said...

Cajun I will look at those pieces this morning before I attempt to post on this subject.

I find the legal argument that there was a right to secession so far very very weak but I shall take a look at those osts this morning and see what your arguments are

Anonymous said...

Everything is "legal" for anyone who has the power to do it.

The question was never did the federal government want the south to secede (that is, is it legal) but whether the south could do it and get away with it.

It wasn't "legal" for America to be a nation in the first place but she is.