Friday, July 25, 2008

Are Eastern Orthodox Soft on Abortion?

The Black Cordelias has an interesting post at Orthodox Soft Like Anglicans on Abortion. I am no expert on this and no doubt views and tones differ from Orthodox Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction. The fact though that one of the people he quotes Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople is concerning.

I am stretching my memory here but I think back to the race between George H Bush and the EASTERN ORTHODOX Governor Dukaksis.. The concerns and voices in the Orthodox community were not nearly as vocal as those Catholics that were troubled by a Catholic Pro Choice Kerry 4 years ago. Now this was before of course the explosion of Cable News and the Internet and that ensuring information revolution. However that is my recollection

I do not mean this to be a "orthodx" bashing post and do not want it viewed as such. I am just curious what is up

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

James H. You have an excellent memory for politics. The Greek Orthodox Church did not raise a stink over his being pro-choice like Catholics did over John Kerry.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE0DC1539F934A3575AC0A96E948260

Anonymous said...

The link was too long, but it can found by googling "orthodox church abortion" and it will be the 3rd article down.